Monday, June 25, 2012

Short Stories on the Big Screen

Most recently, I have fallen back in love with the idea of a good short story.  What a challenge it is, to evoke emotion in such few pages.   I, and my fellow writers at the conference, just shook our head at how Checkov was able to masterfully achieve this in his 'the Dependents' -  a heart-wrenching story.

I also watched Grey this past weekend -- this movie was inspired by Ghost Walker by Ian MacKenzie Jeffers.    And that movie that I get sucked into whenever its on cable - The Shawshank Redemption - was originally a novella by Stephen King (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank redemption).

I guess I am commenting on this, as I learn that big ideas can be expressed in very short fashion.  It goes back to another tip from the conference -- to explore flash fiction -- it really challenges the mind to arrange words together so that they pack the biggest punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment