Saturday, June 9, 2012

Empathy

Thank you Andre Dubus III, for pointing me to this great quote from Willa Cather:

"...a creative writer can do his best only with what lies within the range and character of his deepest sympathies."

I wish I had that advice before I hammered away the 80,000 words of my first novel.

After my beta-readers, who probably read the manuscript so that they could fulfill any obligations to me and never have to see me again, responded that they love characters B, C, and even D -- but hated Character A.

Small problem.  A is my protagonist.  The hero.

Damn readers!  Can't they just get it? Why do they have to be so difficult to please?

I realized they were right though.  They sniffed it out right away.  I wrote characters B, C and D with real feeling.  Character A - I tried to manufacture with all kinds of craft BS in my head - challenges, goals, conflict, obstacles -- blah,blah, blah. 

So back to the drawing board I go, moving into draft verison 3 -- this time -with sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment